Kilmarnock 1-2 Motherwell- Match Report

Well dig seep for winLee Erwin's winner lifted Motherwell to a 2-1 victory at Kilmarnock and seven points clear of Scottish Premiership basement side St Mirren.The Steelmen showed character and resolve to fight back at Rugby Park and claim the win which should at least give them a fighting chance of beating the drop in the play-offs.Killie boss Gary Locke was given a three-year deal on Friday and his second day as full-time boss got off to an ideal start when 17-year-old centre-back David Syme marked his first Killie start with the opening goal after 17 minutes.But Stephen Pearson - also awarded a new two-year contract on Friday after returning to Fir Park in January - drew the visitors level with his first Motherwell goal in 11 years seven minutes before the break.It was Erwin though who slalomed into the box to fire home the crucial second goal 13 minutes from time to leave Gary Teale's Saints on the verge of disaster.The Paisley men travel to Lanarkshire on Tuesday night and a win for the home side will all but finish off St Mirren's nine-year stay in the top-flight.Killie's defeat also leaves their hopes of reaching the top six fading badly, with just two games left to bridge the six-point gap separating them from Hamilton.The Ayrshiremen have been re-energised by Locke's appointment and the decision to give him the job full-time seemed to add further fuel to their top-six charge as they flew forward early on.Mark O'Hara flashed a shot just wide after seven minutes while Josh Maggenis fired straight at George Long after galloping onto Craig Samson's long punt.But they had Well's on-loan Sheffield United goalkeeper to thank as they took a deserved lead.Long did not looked comfortable with crosses coming into his box all afternoon and when he rushed from his line to swing a hopeful punch at Paul Cairney's free-kick from the left, the only thing he connected with was fresh air.That left youngster Syme with a simple header at the back-post as he made the most of his big day.But Motherwell responded well as they eventually worked themselves into the action.Erwin's lovely chest control from Stephen McManus' pumped ball forward on his chest created their first opening

The forward then clipped it over Syme but got carried away as he rushed his volley wide.They had another go when Lionel Ainsworth fizzed a shot at Samson before McManus thudded home a header from Conor Grant's corner

Referee Euan Anderson was attentive enough to spot the Steelmen skipper's push on Lee Ashcroft and ruled it out.There was nothing wrong with Pearson's strike though as the former Celtic man levelled the scores.Scott McDonald and Erwin combined as they worked the ball to Ainsworth on the edge of the home side's box

He was aiming for Samson's bottom corner but the keeper never had a chance as Pearson stole into the box to re-direct the ball into the net from eight yards.Killie should have re-gained their lead on the stroke of half-time but Ashcroft headed over after Chris Johnston floated in a perfect free-kick.And they were lucky not to fall behind on the hour mark as McDonald stepped onto Erwin's cut-back and thrashed the ball off the cross-bar after Samson got a faint hand to the strike.Killie winger Tope Obadeyi's running had caused Motherwell issues all day but the former Bolton youth did himself no favours when he threw himself to the ground after driving past Pearson

Anderson was unimpressed with his play-acting and flashed a yellow.The hosts may have started like a train but they were de-railed with 13 minutes left as Motherwell grabbed the lead.Erwin had been involved a lot for Ian Baraclough's men but was erratic in possession.However, he calmed himself as he collected the ball on the edge of the box, cut inside Syme before shimmying away from Ashcroft to drill a low shot under Samson for the winner

Source : PA

Source: PA