Kilmarnock 0-4 Aberdeen- Match Report

Adam Rooney double leads Aberdeen to win

Adam Rooney scored twice as Aberdeen moved back into second place in the Ladbrokes Premiership with a 4-0 victory at Rugby Park.

The Dons were given a break in the 25th minute when Rooney converted following a controversial penalty award from Willie Collum, who ruled that Jamie MacDonald had brought down James Maddison.

But they had been the better team from the start and defenders Andrew Considine and Ash Taylor both netted following corners before Rooney converted the final chance from a hat-trick of opportunities in quick succession.

Kilmarnock were left with plenty to work on over the international break after conceding 10 goals in two matches.

Aberdeen started with real purpose and MacDonald made good stops from Niall McGinn and Jonny Hayes inside the opening six minutes.

Kilmarnock skipper Kris Boyd sent in some dangerous driven efforts but Joe Lewis and his defenders dealt with them well and Aberdeen continued to look more threatening.

Anthony O'Connor volleyed just over and McGinn forced another save before Collum took centre stage.

Rooney's dinked ball over the top looked too long but MacDonald spilled it before Maddison ran in and collided with the grounded goalkeeper

The Aberdeen midfielder soon went down, with Collum deciding MacDonald had done enough to be penalised for pulling him over.

A dazed-looking MacDonald was booked and there was a short delay as he regained his full senses, before Rooney sent him the wrong way from the spot.

Aberdeen remained on top and there was no doubt about their second goal five minutes after the restart

Maddison sent over a deep corner after his dangerous low cross had been cleared and it fell for Considine, who arrowed a volley into the far top corner from 14 yards.

Souleymane Coulibaly was not too far away from adding to his collection of spectacular Kilmarnock goals but Aberdeen were not allowing their hosts chances closer in.

Rooney had a shot tipped over and Maddison lit up the game with a run past three players which was only ended by a bad foul from Jonathan Burn after the defender had been nutmegged.

The on-loan Norwich player soon set up another goal with a back-post corner as Taylor thundered home from close range in the 67th minute.

Rooney missed two good chances, the second hitting the bar, after some slack defending but the Irishman found the net in the 72nd minute after a good run and pass from Jonny Hayes sent him clear.

Source : PA

Source: PA