Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0 Kilmarnock 2

Last updated : 03 January 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Kilmarnock snatched three points against the run of play against Inverness at Pittodrie thanks to a second half Danny Invincible double.

Jim Jefferies made one change after Kilmarnock's 3-1 win against Dundee, bringing in Gordon Greer for the injured Frederic Dindeleux. Craig Brewster's side remained unchanged after the festive 0-0 draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie for what will be their last home game at Pittodrie before moving back to Inverness.

The game started brightly, although it took a full 13 minutes for the first real chance on goal. A teasing Roy McBain corner almost caught out Graeme Smith, but the Killie keeper held well to deny the onrushing Caley forward line. Invincible almost set up the opener at the other end just five minutes later. His cross found the head of the onrushing Colin Nish, but the ball landed narrowly over Mark Brown's crossbar and the chance was lost

A 27th Kilmarnock corner almost saw a goal at the other end. Liam Keogh's long clearance found Juanjo. The ex-Hearts striker ran through before being brought down on the edge of the area, and the ball fell to Grant Munro who shot just wide of the right-hand post. Moments later, Russell Duncan came close when his shot brought out the best in Graeme Smith.

Kris Boyd's acrobatics almost provided the opening goal after he volleyed wide from an Invincible header five minutes before the interval.

The second half started slowly and it wasn't until the 67th minute that either side had a real chance on goal. A Ross Tokely run and cross found the head of Graham Bayne in the middle, but the striker headed just wide from eight yards. A slack ball by Simon Ford found Juanjo who played in Duncan for a shot, but the ex-Aberdeen player's effort was matched by Smith.

However, very much against the run of play Kilmarnock took a 77th minute lead. A superb run and cross on the left by Allan Johnston found the head of Boyd who knocked down to Invincible, who hit a sweet drive low past the helpless Mark Brown.

In the dying moments Kilmarnock put the game beyond doubt after a mix-up in the Caley defence. Darren Dods and Brown both came for the ball and Invincible sneaked in to complete his brace.